Monday, January 10, 2011

Another year has gone by... (long post!)

It's ten days into the New Year and I'm just not getting to blogging! We have been pretty busy the passed couple weeks though. Between snow and traveling, it's pretty hard to get back into a routine around here!
Our Christmas was pretty quiet without having any family in from out of town. Christmas Eve after church service Mom and Dad came over for our dinner. The four of us were up at seven the next morning to open presents. It was a blast... Gabbi is really at a fun age where she gets excited about everything. And Catie is at the fun age where she's excited about paper! So everyone enjoyed themselves haha :) After presents we made breakfast, and Mom & Dad came over for breakfast and to open their gifts. Then at lunch time we headed to Dustin's grandparents for the afternoon.
Gabbi's big hit was her doll house (that she for some reason wants to call a tree house...?) from Nana and Poppy.
Although Minnie Mouse wasn't Catie's "favorite" gift, I just couldn't resist putting this picture up. She does love Minnie, but do you notice the little green & white toy in her right hand? That's her very own cell phone that she opened up first... she held it in her hand the rest of the morning, opening all her other gifts with her left hand.
New Year's weekend we traveled to Birmingham to visit my aunt, uncle, and 8-year old cousin. It was a fun, yet sleepless, weekend. My aunt and I took Gracie (my cousin) and Gabbi to see Tangled Friday afternoon. It was Gabbi's first movie at the theater. She loved it... even though I'm not sure it was the greatest idea I've ever had. There were definitely a couple scary/ intense scenes where she clung real tightly to me. That, coupled with the fact that it was a HUGE screen and much louder than what she's used to, are the reasons we think Gabbi ended up with a nightmare that night :( She really did enjoy the movie though. And I think we'll still end up getting the DVD... being able to fast forward the more intense parts is a bonus :)

On January 5th, Dustin and I celebrated 4 whole years of marriage! I can't believe it's been 4 years already. On one hand, we feel like we've reached some kind of milestone... yet compared to so many couples we know who have been married for 8, 9, 10 or more years, it still is such a small amount of time. This passed year though, seems like it's been the best so far.
We heard over and over again the first couple years are the hardest. We were definitely no exception to the rule. With the added fact that our sweet little "honeymoon surprise" came into our life 9 months and 4 days after our wedding, the first couple years of our marriage were spent not only adjusting to each other, but to being parents as well!
But 2010 was a good year. They were all "good" years, we would never undo anything the Lord has done in our lives... but as far as marriage- our relationship- is concerned, it was the best. The Lord is continuously showing us sin (selfishness mainly), molding us to His likeness, and all the while bringing us closer together. I'm so thankful for His grace in our lives. That He gave me a man who loves Him and desires His glory above all else in our lives. I never want to take that for granted... because I know not all women have that. Dustin read this passed week and shared with me, "Marriage is the union of two forgivers"... we will definitely testify to that!

As we enter into 2011 and our 5th year of marriage, there are going to be some changes in our life! Dustin is starting (back to) school... one of the things I couldn't yet mention a few posts ago, but am so excited to share now. He has about 2 1/2 years left to finish his bachelor's, then Lord willing, we'll follow that up with seminary. I'm so excited to see this desire we've had since before we were married (and that he's had since before we met!) starting to come into the works. He's *almost* gone back to school a handful of times these passed few years, just seems to never have been the Lord's timing.
Also 2011 will bring the addition of our 3rd baby girl! I praise the Lord our Charity Ruth has not made her entrance yet. I'm so thankful she's still healthy, and my contractions have really slowed down the passed couple weeks. I also took the fetal fibronectin test on Friday, which came back negative. Meaning, 99% chance I won't be going into labor in the next few weeks. I am very anxious to meet this newest blessing... to see what (and who) she is going to look like, to begin truly bonding with her, to count her little fingers and toes, to see what he big sisters are going to think of her... I just don't want to meet her before 36 weeks :)
In 2011 I will become an aunt! My brother and sister-in-law are expecting their first baby the beginning of June. Next week we'll all find out if Dustin and I will have a *niece* or *nephew*. I'll go ahead and share that I'm predicting *niece* because I'm okay with being wrong ;o)

I'm so excited about all the Lord is going to do in our lives this year. I pray that my excitement will not wish the year away, waiting for the next big "event"... but that I will continue to seek Him daily... as it is daily that I need His grace...

No comments: