Thursday, March 05, 2009

Morning Mercies

Something funny happened for the second time this morning. I am a relatively heavy sleeper, a little less so these days being pregnant and having to get up at least once during the night. But I rarely wake up when Dustin gets out of bed; actually, when I do wake up I'm on his side of the bed and wonder "how did I get here?" This morning, as one morning a week or two ago, I open my eyes half way and actually get frustrated with him: "why did he leave the lamp on?!" I roll over, but there is still this bright light coming from the side of the room. I can't fall back asleep because he has "left the lamp on", so I sit up with a big sigh, rub my eyes and look to turn off the light... then chuckle at myself. I can't turn off the light, b/c it's coming from the sun shining in through our window! This light, I love.

I think I'm more anxious for spring this year than I have ever been in my life. I'm sitting at my desk, a small breeze and music from the birds coming through my window. If I wasn't pregnant, a cup of coffee would be in front of me. Now that sounds good! I guess this glass of water will just have to suffice. My bible is open to Psalm 96, what I can't seem to get away from on mornings like this.
"Let the heavens be glad and the earth rejoice;
let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
let the field exult, and everything in it!
Then shall all the trees of the forest sing for joy..."
vv.11-12

I can't help but think that the earth is rejoicing & the trees in my back yard, as well as the birds in them, are singing for joy. And the Lord is over it all... He commands the breeze to blow, and it does. He commands the birds to sing a song, and they do. In a matter of weeks He'll command the trees & flowers to bud, and they will. All things come to pass- births, deaths, and seasons- in His perfect time. I love the promise of Spring. Just as we have to walk through the valley to stand upon the mountain, to even know we're standing on a mountain, in the same way we have to walk through the cold death of winter to know the beauty and warmth of spring. Maybe that's why I'm more anxious for spring this year. Because the Lord is doing the same thing in creation as He is doing in my heart, in mine and Dustin's life. It's a wonderful thing! I just want to take Gabbi outside and dance with the trees!!! (With the picture from Prince Caspian in my mind.)
We must get outside today.

1 comment:

Chris said...

You're a blogging machine! I love it.